When Woodlawn College opened in 1931 it was named St John's Educational and Agricultural College. The initial enrolment was for 80 students and the emphasis was on agricultural studies.
In the years since that occasion many changes took place within the College, none so great as the changes over the past few years. Change has become an integral part of the society in which we live. There is no place for those who resist change in the organisations of our time. In order to continue to exist we must adapt, we must plan and we must put in place strategies and structures to best meet the future needs of that which we are a part.
One of the strongest and time-honoured traditions of St John's College Woodlawn has been an emphasis on the Woodlawn family. Nowhere is this tradition of family more visible than in the relationships that exist through the ex-student network.
In order to preserve this extremely important aspect of the College within the context of the new order, a group of ex-students took a decision to be proactive in establishing a structure to move with the changes. In association with Fr Paul Pidcock, the group set about registering with Woodlawn Ex-Student's Association as an incorporated body.
This being done, the group set about establishing the aims and goals of the Association and some activities it would be dedicated to. The Woodlawn Ex-Students Association is dedicated to:
- Establish an Ex-Students Association to help maintain the traditions of the College.
- Coordinate the Ex-Student reunions and create Ex-Student networks.
- Publish a biennial newsletter to help keep people informed and maintain contact.
- Establish structures to develop communication between ex-students, parents and current students.
The aims of the association are to:
- Foster the aims and objectives of St John's College, as a Catholic and Christian education institution, displaying its own image and traditions.
- Foster and keep alive among ex-students, a rememberance of the College and take an active interest in its welfare.
- Foster a spritit of frienship and love among all students, past and present.
- Encourage in the present student body, the Gospel values in everyday living, by our own Christian example and actions.
- Support the College in any manner that the Committee of the Association shall from time to time deem advisable.
The benefits of being a member include:
- Regular information on ex-students news, reunions and functions etc.
- Maintain contact and friendship amongst fellow students.
- Access to twice yearly newsletters.
- Life membership key ring.
- Member's lapel pin.
The AGM is held on the Sunday of the Reunion
We would invite all ex-students to be part of the Ex-Students Association.
Further enquiries regarding membership or the association can be made to:
Father Paul Pidcock S.M.,
St John's College
PO Box 6,
LISMORE NSW 2480
Phone: 6626 2600
Fax: 6626 2626